We took our young friend Rosie to the beach one summer, many years ago, and the first thing she did was whip up a batch of little star-shaped lemony biscuits with yellow icing.
She might have been 12 or 13 at the time. We were smitten and have called them Rosie bikits ever since. If we are lucky Rosie will make a batcj for us but clearly I needed the recipe myself and bought some star-shaped cookie cutters.
Made using fresh juice and rind from lemons, these biscuits are delicious and are perfect with cups of tea. And coffee. Possibly cocktails?
They make perfect gifts at this time of year, wrap some up in cellophane, add a bit of tinsel and you’re good to give.
Star-shaped Rosie bikits are also great to take with you when visiting friends in Devonport, as we did this weekend. A truly wonderful time was had by all, including the bounding dog who was certain she would be given her very own bowl of biscuits. Not this time Siouxsie!
Rosie Star Bikits
125g butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp liquid honey
2 tsps lemon rind or more
1/2 generous tsps ground ginger
2 1/4 cups self-raising white flour
- Cream butter with sugar in a large bowl. Mix in the egg, then honey, lemon rind and ginger.
- Now add the flour slowly, about a large tablespoon at a time and continue. Use your hands near the end. the mix may seem a bit dry, but be brave and keep going.
- Roll dough into a ball, cover and put in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 180°C and lightly grease an oven tray with butter.
- Sprinkle table with a bit of flour and knead gently for a minute or so. I chop it in half which I find is easier to work with.
- Use a rolling pin and roll to desired thickness (6mm or so) and use two or three different sizes of star-shaped cookie cutters to cut out. Place on tray and pop in oven.
Bake for 10 – 15 minutes until golden, but watch them like a hawk – oven temperatures vary as well.
Leave to cool and then ice:
About 3/4 cup icing sugar
Lemon juice (about one lemon)
Yellow food colouring – just a drop or two!
- Mix together and slather it on your biscuits with more care than I did!
Note: purple or green icing is really not as good as yellow, ok Rosie? Good try though.