Gordonton house destroyed in fire

The remains of the house this morning

A Gordonton resident escaped with his life after the house he was living in was gutted by fire early this morning.

The house, in Gordonton village, was well aflame by the time fire engines arrived at 3am, reports the Waikato Times.

Chartwell Station Officer Robert Hos told reporter Belinda Feek flames were coming out both sides of the house.

“The occupant woke to the smell of smoke but he managed to escape.”

Mr Hos said the power had been disconnected to the property and the occupants were using candles for lighting.

“There were also no smoke alarms in this house. Had there been smoke alarms it would have alerted the occupant and we would have been able to minimise the damage,” Mr Hos said.

The occupant’s cousin, Sonny Rota, who lives nearby, said the house was one of the oldest homes in the village and had been in their family for generations.

Read the story in the Waikato Times by clicking here.

Share this page:


Number 8 Network - a community website for the rural areas northeast of Hamilton, NZ, is run by Gordonton journalist/editor Annette Taylor.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

%d bloggers like this: