Nominations for the Waikato District Youth Awards 2016 are now open.
This is the first year Waikato District Council has held the awards, which are a way of showing young people that their contributions are valued, says youth engagement advisor Shannon Kelly.
“We wanted to recognise and celebrate the young people who are making significant contributions to their community,” says Waikato District Council Youth Engagement Advisor, Shannon Kelly. “It’s a way of showing that we value their efforts, initiative, commitment and hard work.”
The categories are:
· Sass/Swag: Young people who have made an outstanding contribution to their community in arts, culture, music, dance or performance.
· Like a Boss: Young people who have demonstrated great leadership in projects that have improved their community.
· Helping Hand: Young people who volunteer in order to improve their community.
· Champion of the Earth award (environment, natural, cultural, social, urban): Young people who have contributed to environmental projects in their community to improve protection, restoration, conservation and/or sustainability.
· Kia Kaha: Young people who have contributed in meaningful ways to their community not otherwise recognised in the other categories.
Nominees must be aged between 12 and 24 and currently live, or have lived, in the Waikato District, in the past 12 months.
The awards are made possible by funding from the Ministry for Youth Development.
Nominations close on Monday 2 May.
For more information, phone Shannon Kelly on 0800 492 452.